1 pound pasta, any shape
1 ½ cups whole or 2% milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 to 3 cups shredded cheese, like Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Colby (can be mixed)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon powdered mustard
½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
8 slices crisped Schmacon, chopped into ½ inch chunks
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Cook Schmacon in oven according to directions. Chop into ½ inch chunks. Set aside.
- For the cheese sauce, begin warming 1 cup of the milk in the saucepan over medium heat. Whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup of milk and the flour until there are no lumps. When you just start to see steam rising from the warming milk, whisk in the milk-and-flour mixture. Continue whisking gently until the milk thickens slightly to the consistency of heavy cream, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and begin mixing handfuls of cheese into the milk. Stir in the salt, pepper and mustard. Stir until all the cheese has melted and the sauce is creamy. Adjust the seasonings as desired. Remove the sauce from heat.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the pasta and half of the cheese sauce. Stir to coat the pasta evenly.
- Sprinkle Schmacon™ on top or mix into the pasta.